· To be aware of teaching profession.
· To get information about cooperating teacher.
· To get information about a student.
PART A: Attend the lessons and observe your teacher. Make an interview with your cooperative teacher by using interview questions.
1) The list of activities at school both in classroom and out of it, in which the teacher is engaged.
*Greeting & Attendance (3 minutes)
*General Informing & Starting the Course (15 minutes)
- Quiz Related Part (10 minutes)
- New Concept Related Part (5 minutes)
*Giving the Concept(25 minutes)
· Greeting & Attendance (3 minutes):
Fistly the teacher greeted the class. Then he took the attendance. (Sometimes he made some jokes.)
· General Informing & Starting the Course (15 minutes):
a) Quiz Related Part (10 minutes):
He informed students about the quiz which was done previous lecture. He said general errors on quizes that he saw while reading and then he announced the quiz results. He also distributed the quiz sheets to the students therefore they could see their mistakes and had a chance to ask incomprehensible points to their teacher. Then he collected the papers back.
b) New Concept Related Part (5 minutes):
He said the name of new concept. The topic was the Electromagnetic Induction. He came up with a brief starting explanation about the topic. (His comminication with students was good, he made jokes and poked fun at them.)
· Giving the Concept (25 minutes):
While giving concept he used traditional lecturing. He gived the formula shown in below and mentioned the units of variables while students took notes on their workbooks. He also mentioned some examples related to the concept. ( ) Then he solved a basic problem by communicating with the students. He used question & answer method mostly. He tried to force all students to attend the course. Intervally, he made some small motivation speeches with students one to one. With this speeches, students’ motivation was really increased. He give another question which could explained the main points related to the concept and ask students to reason about this example. They discussed the answers. He did not say the correct answer at once. He used the method of Inquiry in this part of the lesson. After the discussion of three minutes he said the answer and explained it step by step and slowly. One student said that he could no understand a point and the teacher explained the steps again. Therefore the teacher achieved giving the objective effectively. (Generally he gived one minute breaks between concepts in order to increase motivation.)
· Closure (2 minutes):
Before finishing the course he asked students that is there anything which is not clear in their minds. Then he distributed the homework sheets to students. He warned them about not forget to do these homeworks. Finally, he finished the course.
2) The other work teacher done at home in the evening or at the weekend about his profession.
In the evening:
He checks up on the next lecture’s material and questions. He makes researches in order to find anything that could used in the course. He said he do this works because students could ask so different questions and he wants to be ready for almost all of these questions.
He goes to ‘study times’ which are arranged for advanced skill students by school administration, especially on Saturdays. He also read exams, quizzes and homeworks at weekends if they exists.
At breaks between courses he answer students’ questions or try to solve their troubles which related to courses or private because he is also adviser teacher for a specific class. He attend seminars and activities related to his profession. For example, he said he attended Destination & Imagination Seminar, Computer Education Technologies Activity and other profession related seminars.
3) My reflections about the teacher based on my interview and observations.
They work blistering. In general, people think teaching profession is easy but substantially it is not easy. Teacher’s have a lot of responsibilities. For example, they prepare homeworks, quizzes, exams, course materials or they organize activities. My cooperating teacher said, he prepare performace homeworks and organize communion activities and competitions for students. He also said that, they done at least one experiment for each concept. They try to use various teaching methods at their courses. They try to obtain all of the students and pursue them. They spend a lot of time at rank in order to create new questions for students. They have to be in touch with all students’ parents. They also stand guard periodically. They have to follow technology because they use smart boards, simulations, online experiments, projectors and ipads in courses. Additionally the profile of the students in this school is a little bit different so it is not easy to administer students in this school. Therefore teachers who works in colleges slog further. I did not expect that much responsibilities. I understand that the teaching profession is not easy as thinked.
PART B: Focus on a student in a class you attended. Observe him/her in lesson and during the break. Be Careful! The student should not know s/he is being observed by you. After your observations, make an interview questions.
1) Write down how the student reacts or responses the activities that you mentioned above.
I observed a 9th grade student. He did not want to be mentioned his name in this report. I choose him because his teacher suggested him to me in order to observe him. Due to my observations, i could say that he really love the physics course and his teacher. I deduced this situation because while he is listening the teacher, he make fine eye contacts with his teacher, sit in silence and do the problems as a volunteer. His conversations between his friends are about exams and homeworks. His friends most often come to him in order to ask questions that they can not solve. In the course, he carefully listen the teacher and take notes. He also ask questions about the points that he could not understand. He wistfully listen teacher’s suggestions about problem solving methods. He tries to solve questions too fast, therefore he makes calculation errors.
2) Based on your interview and observation, write your reflections about this responses or reactions considering the issues like student characteristics, the nature of activities, teacher characteristics and etc.
He is not very social boy but he is not introversive, too. His almost all courses are magnificent. However his love of physics comes from the sympathy to teacher. Sometimes other students ask very simple questions to teacher, at times like these he is not interested in these questions. Instead of this, he resume his own work. He is a member of chess club and all of his friend like him.
3) *What are the benefits of student observation in teaching profession?
Benefits for the observer:
- Observe new techniques, strategies, ideas and resources
- Gain insight into one's own strategies and techniques
- Observe student reactions from a different perspective
- Help create a professional learning community with the best interests of the students in mind
- Personal Professional Development and growth
Benefits for the observed:
- Chance to see class through someone else’ eyes
- Chance to re-evaluate the classroom from a different perspective
- Chance to receive input (suggestions, ideas, resources) from a colleague
- Creation of a professional learning community with the best interests of the students in mind
- Personal Professional Development and growth (http://www2.education.ualberta.ca)
*What should you consider when you take account of student’s needs?
Observation is an important part of learning how to teach. Much of what beginner teachers need to be aware of can not be learned solely in the university class. Therefore classroom observation presents an opportunity to see real-life teachers in real-life teaching situations. Teachers are forever reflecting and making decisions, and when they see someone else in action, in as much as they are seeing someone else, they are almost simultaneously seeing themselves. This means that observation is important at every stage of a teacher’s career. Classroom observation describes the practice of sitting in on another teacher’s class to observe, learn and reflect. All students are different from each other based on different aspects. Especially, in private schools students can be lazy when we compared with public schools. (http://www2.education.ualberta.ca)
*List the points you should remember when you are teaching.
· Follow technology.
· Analyze each students knowledge, psychology and what motivates them for the lesson.
· Motivate students for class.
· Apply homework and quizes in order to see the improvement of students and teaching methods for understanding the topics.
· [Online Document] Retrieved from http://www2.education.ualberta.ca/staff/olenka.Bilash/best%20of%20bilash/observation.html
Öğretmen Görüşme Soruları
1. Derslerinizde ne gibi öğretim metotları ve etkinlikler uyguluyorsunuz? Bu etkinlikleri ne kadar sıklıkla yapıyorsunuz?
Performans ödevi gibi hazırladığımız etkinlikler var. Bunları dersin gidişatına göre uyguluyoruz çünkü 11. Sınıf müfredatı çok yoğun. Bu yüzden 11. Ve 12. Sınıfta böyle aktiviteler yapamıyoruz. 10. Sınıflarda köprü adı altında paylaşım etkinliği yapacağız ama her konuda mutlaka bir deney yapıyoruz. Bireysel yada grup olarak demo deneyleri yapılabiliyor. Yakında da pentadlon yarışması var. Tüm öğrenciler katılacak. Metodumuz da anlatım ve soru-cevap olacak.
2. Okuldan sonra yada hafta sonlarında mesleğinize yönelik yaptığınız çalışmalar nelerdir?
Etüt çalışmaları var. Bunlar ileri düzey öğrencileri için Cumartesi günleri yapılıyor. Seminerlere katılıyoruz. (Bilgisayar Öğretim Teknolojileri) Alan ile ilgili etkinliklere katılıyoruz.
3. Okulda ders dışında yaptığınız etkinlikler nelerdir?
Etütlerde soru çözüyoruz. Genelde ÖSS’ye hazırlanan öğrenciler geliyor. Nöbetlerimiz var çok yoğun.
4. Okulda bir öğretmenin sorumlulukları nelerdir?
Çok sorumluluğumuz var. Sabah sekiz akşam dört arası çok sıkı bir çalışma tempomuz var. Nöbetlerimiz ve sınıf öğretmenliklerimiz oluyor. Ayrıca danışman öğretmenlikler de var. Benim 9, sınıflardan 11 öğrencim var danışmanlık yaptığım. Öğrencilerin tüm sorunlarıyla ilgileniyoruz. Rehberlikle ve müdür yardımcısı ile koordine olarak çalışıyoruz. Eğitsel kollardada görevlerimiz oluyor ayrıca klüpler de var.
5. Dersinizde ne gibi öğretim materyalleri kullanıyorsunuz?
Akıllı tahta, kendi ders kitaplarımız, projektör ve FATIH projesi kapsamında gelen aleti kullanıyoruz. Yaklaşık üç hafta sonra da Ipad ile ders işleme projemiz denenecek. Yeniliklere açığız. İmkanların elverdiği herşeyi kullanmaya çalışıyoruz.
6. Öğrencilerinize ders kitabı dışında farklı kaynak kitap(lar) öneriyor musunuz?
Farklı kitaplar öneriyoruz. Bir sürü kitaptan bir tanesini tercih etmelerini öneriyoruz. Yani ekstra kaynağı mutlaka tavsiye ediyoruz.
7. Yeni bir öğretmen adayına söyleyecekleriniz?
Tecrübe çok önemli. Uygulama ve teori birbirinden çok farklı. Ben bile hala öğreneceğim çok şey var diyorum. Öğretmenlik sanıldığı gibi rahat bir meslek değil. Yıpratıcı. Bunun bilincinde olmak gerekiyor. Derse her zaman hazırlıklı gelmek gerekiyor. Çünkü öğrencilerden çok enteresan sorular gelebiliyor.
Öğrenci Görüşme Soruları
1) Derse gelmeden önce ders için ne gibi hazırlıklar yapıyorsunuz? Bu hazırlıklarınız ne kadar zaman alıyor?
Önceki dersin tekrarı, test çözme. 25-45 dakika.
2) Özel ders alıyor musunuz yada dershaneye gidiyor musunuz?
3) Ders içi aktivitelere katılıyor musunuz? Ne kadar sıklıkla katılıyorsunuz?
Evet, dersi olabildiğince takip ediyorum.
4. Öğretmeninizin dersi anlatma yöntemi hakkında ne düşünüyorsunuz?
Örnekler çözer, anlamayan olursa o yönde açıklamalarda bulunarak herkesin konuyu anlamasını sağlar.